Friday, October 2, 2009

Prop stress

I spent a good 45 minutes toiling with the propeller, cold and frustrated while free diving, trying to make it fit on the shaft while holding my breath (in many ways). The sun was going down. I was losing the battle.

This was one of the big gambles when buying the boat - the prop didn't fit the shaft from the get go. The Valley Prop folks did an honest good job refurbishing it to fit - but I still couldn't get the damn little "key" to fit, which aligns the prop and the shaft. This could be a problem.

I despaired. In my cold miserable state I retreated to a nap under the blankets, then in a half-conscious state the answer came to me. The voice said: "Do it backwards. Make the key small, insert it first, then slide the prop in."  Which is pretty weird, like putting a key in the doorway hole then installing the lock around it.

But the hacksaw came out. Cut the brass key, sanded it down a bit, dived back down and loved the fact that it worked. Great satisfaction.  The maiden voyage was on.

No comments:

Post a Comment